You are reading a single comment by @charlie and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • But it shows that on a platform this constrained there won't be a way
    to make every code nice and tidy, sometimes getting to the edges of
    available resources means ugly code or hacks to even get it to work at
    all.

At this stage I am probably underestimating the memory constraints of the system. I write evolutionary algorithms (type of AI) for scheduling software for my day job. Some functions get called millions of times during the evolutionary process. Sometimes having to sacrifice nice code for speed so I understand why you would.

Given the hardware constraints I am starting to see why javascript might not be the best language for watch development.

I did stumble upon a project in the forums where someone had been trying to run reactjs apps in bangle. It doesn't look like the project code has been updated in 4 years. Did they basically give up at some point?

• At this stage I am probably underestimating the memory constraints of the system.

quite likely, and maybe also CPU speed and I/O speed, check this https://www.espruino.com/Performance to get better picture

Given the hardware constraints I am starting to see why javascript might not be the best language for watch development.

I don't see anything better that offers the simplicity, flexibility and extensibility while still having low memory requirements. Also the asynchronous nature of js make things easier than using languages like micropython or lua.

About

Avatar for charlie @charlie started