• It's a fantastic ecosystem, Gordon has done a smashing job with it! And there is a lot of helpful things out there. When I made my first app I laboriously laid it out by hand, only afterwards did I discover the layout library which made it much easier!

If the keyboard you've made is your avatar, I also thought it looked similar to the multi-tap keyboard (you may see a familiar name listed under authors in the readme!)

Using the real device is quite different from the emulator, but please do a comparison when you get your hands on it. If your keyboard works better you can always make changes to the multi-tap keyboard so that everyone can benefit from your improvements, or as you say release a separate keyboard app that suits your needs better. That's one of the joys of open-source, it's up to you.

But that's only the keyboard section, do you mind if I'm nosy and ask what the rest of your app does?

• The impetus for me searching for a smart watch was to create a prosthetic device to treat the working memory portion of my ADHD symptoms.

The idea is to be able to type in what I want to be doing immediately when I decide to go do it. Then the watch will vibrate and remind me at set intervals (thirty seconds, one minute, two minutes, something configurable, maybe with incremental backoff) of that task.

For example, I might be standing in my bathroom upstairs and notice that I'm hungry, but between the time I say "I'll go make a bowl of cereal" and the time I arrive in the kitchen I am totally sidetracked by something else. Sometimes I don't even make it to the intended part of the house, and I won't remember that I need to eat for another hour or more.

I'm thinking if I can have something on my wrist that will let me IMMEDIATELY externalize my working memory then I can have a constant tactile reminder of my intention. That's why I'm emphasizing entry speed and de-emphasizing character breadth for my input, because I could type "brkfst" or "car" or "laund" and that would be sufficient.

There's more to the app than just that, I'm also planning to create a task queue system and a re-prioritization feature where you can put an incomplete task on the back burner if you actually need to switch gears. Other features bouncing around in brain as well but it has fallen into the background while I wait for the device to come in.

There are devices out there that do this (https://reminderwatch.com/) but most of them are at similar price points with significantly reduced flexibility, and many of them focus on repeating reminders that you set ahead of time. Kinda like they are aware of the problem they are trying to solve but not aware of the root cause of that problem.

About

Avatar for Sir_Indy @Sir_Indy started