You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi!

I've just been having a quick play at trying to sort out the font situation on Bangle.js.

Basically, it's almost impossible to get a bitmap font in the same style and different sizes, so right now we have different types of fonts for each size, and it doesn't look great. Many folks seem to resort to just upscaling 6x8 to a bigger blocky font.

It was suggested before that a font could be upscaled, and I thought I'd give it a try with the AdvMAME scale algorithms:

###   ###                                                                    
      #   # #   #    ######      ######                                             
        ##      #   ########    ########       #########         #########          
          #  ###   ###     ##  ###    ###      #########         #########          
      #   # #      ##      ##  ##      ##     ###########       ###########         
       ###  #####      ####            ##   #####       ###   #####     #####       
                       ####           ###   ###         ###   ###        ####       
                          ###    #######    ###         ###   ###         ###       
                           ##   #######           ######                  ###       
                   ##      ##  ##                 ######                 ####       
                   ###    ###  ##                 ######                #####       
                    ########   ##########             #####      ##########         
                     ######     #########              ####      #########          
                                                        ###     ##########          
                                            ###         ###   ###                   
                                            ###        ####   ###                   
                                            #####     #####   ###                   
                                              ###########     ###############       
                                               #########       ##############       
                                               #########        #############       

This isn't ideal, but it seems like it could be a possibility - specifically if I made a custom font in higher detail than 6x8 (maybe 8x12) then that would likely upscale a lot better, and we could have acceptable quality 12, 24 and 36 pixel high fonts in the same style.

Any thoughts?

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started