Some Newbie Questions

Posted on
    1. Gadgetbridge 0.65.0 [android]
    2. Bangle js2 2v12

Let me emphasize that I am very glad to own such a highly custamizable gadget and already spent a few hours creating my own watchface.
    But there are some questions that are driving me crazy:

When I tap on the battery in Gadgetbridge, it doesn't show any history-data. Is that normal?
    When I tap on the heart in Gadgetbridge, it seems to measure "forever" (animated blue circle)

I don't understand why the time is not set automatically by default every now and then.
    Is it possible to make Gadgetbridge talk to my watch?
    For example if I wanted to regularly update/set the current time. I could imagine tasker sending an intend or something every hour to tell GB to send a custom message or something?
    Also: My pebble seems to get the time from gadgetbridge. The second my phone knwe the new timezone, my pebble adjusted. Why is this not working with the bangle?
    At least I assume that it's not working, because my (anton watchface) just stood still for a few hours last week. I haven't experienced a wrong time since. If people are experiencing drift, this could be "fixed" by syncing every hour?

I understand that Gadgetbridge is not very customizable (without getting into the sourcecode)? Having Chrome open all the time to communicate with the banglejs via web-bluetooth seems to be overkill. Writing my own android app is something that I would like to avoid. I would like to have the ability to get (for example stock market) live data on my watch. How would you do that?

Is there any documentation for the emulator(js2) in the Web-IDE?
    Are there any input options except for the button?
    Can I simulate battery level/charging status?

Is it possible to edit a file with the IDE? I can overwrite the file, but I didn't find the option to load it.
    I could show it on the left side and copy it over to the right side, I guess.

console.log(require("Storage").read("barĀ­.js"))

Congratulations to Gordon for a more-than-great gadget.
    And thanks for any help :)

• Hi, I'll just try and go through and answer these in turn...

When I tap on the battery in Gadgetbridge, it doesn't show any history-data. Is that normal?

Yes - I believe there's an issue open for this. Up to date battery data is sent but for some reason it is not logged in Gadgetbridge.

When I tap on the heart in Gadgetbridge, it seems to measure "forever" (animated blue circle)

This may also be something that needs looking at - probably on the Bangle.js side of things. I think it worked on the old 'Gadgetbridge' bangle app, but not on the new 'Android' one.

I don't understand why the time is not set automatically by default every now and then.

It should already be - at least whenever Gadgetbridge connects it is.

Is it possible to make Gadgetbridge talk to my watch?

You can get Tasker to create a notification I guess and then you can handle that notification in your own code on Bangle.js.

The second my phone knwe the new timezone, my pebble adjusted. Why is this not working with the bangle?

It's not implemented I guess. If you know where the 'hook' for it was in Gadgetbridge it'd be a pretty easy fix.

my (anton watchface) just stood still for a few hours last week

I've heard reports of this - if you can figure out how to reliably reproduce, please let me know. It is likely some app/widget that's doing something it shouldn't, since on the Bangles I have running here I haven't experienced this.

How much drift are you getting? When folks talk about drift, it's maybe 2-5 seconds a day - we're not talking about hours.

I would like to have the ability to get (for example stock market) live data on my watch. How would you do that?

There are a few posts on this, but basically you just need to hold on for a bit. There will be a new 'Gadgetbridge for Bangle.js' which provides this functionality. Doing an HTTP request from the Bangle via Gadgetbridge is something that is already implemented so when the app is released it'll have it right away.

Viewing the App Loader via Gadgetbridge is also on the list.

Is there any documentation for the emulator(js2) in the Web-IDE?

Not really - I didn't think it needed much.

Are there any input options except for the button?

There's touchscreen, but that's it. Anyone's welcome to add more functionality but I think on the whole when people have a real bangle they just use that.

Can I simulate battery level/charging status?

Not without writing something like E.getBattery = ()=>60 to override the built-in function

Is it possible to edit a file with the IDE? I can overwrite the file, but I didn't find the option to load it.

Click the 4 disc 'Storage' icon in the middle of the IDE, then the 'view' button next to a file, then 'Edit in IDE'. The file may have been minified though.

• Thanks for those very helpful hints.

Hanging Anton-Watchface -> I experienced this once. Could not reproduce it.

Drift -> I seem to have ~2 -4 Seconds per day. Guess I'll just have Tasker toggle bluetooth off and on every night so it doesn't accumulate. Although probably not needed since I usually leave my phone behind ~5 times a day :).

HTTP requests: Looking forward to the next version :)
    Also I guess Droidscript could fit my needs. (premium for notification grabbing)

I could have sworn that I tried the storage symbol and it was empty. Probably when I just startet with an empty emulator... So I just ignored that symbol from that moment...

• For clock drift I've just released a small widget which can counter clock drift by continually adjusting clock in the background. (It doesn't measure clock drift, so you need to measure it yourself and then configure correct clock drift in settings.)

It's not yet in main app loader, but can be installed from devel app loader: Adjust Clock

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Some Newbie Questions

Posted by Avatar for Micha @Micha

Actions