You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • it was that others users have had issues with the step counter counting phantom steps
    when their accelerometer had a slight (totally within spec) DC offset.

@Gordon - totally get it. We want these users to have a decent step counter if their accelerometer is in spec. The test harness showed that 15 would have been enough - so jumping to 18 felt a bit too quick. I think 16 would have been as high as I would have gone at the moment. But 17 will probably good too.

I'd like to understand the DC offset a bit better. I have a suspcicion that the DC offset may always be positive. In which case maybe thresholds of +17 and -10 might be better. There's more tests that could be done using the test harness to establish that. Plus we need more acceleromert recordings and samples from the phatom step users. We dont just want a step counter that's fine tuned for @HughB's Bangle 2. We need some stats on the variance of these accelerometers and the batches we have. I dont know the hardware stuff well enough to comment. But there were 2 cases complaining about phantom steps out of 2000 watches sent out ? Were they freak accelerometers or are there a lot more that never looked at step counts or didn't report any issues because they were more interested in clocks or GPS or games etc.

I'm heartenned by the fact that no one complained about the step counter for so long. I've been expecting a lot more people to complain saying they drove 1 hour to work and count so many hundred steps etc.

I'd like to see if we could collectively come up with a better approach for the THRESHOLD / GATE concept that can work out this DC offset and compensate accordingly. Either some sort of dynamic approach or a calibration approach. There are some really smart and experienced people in this forum who can knock things together in an hour that would take me 2 evenings, whilst I'm still playing catch up as I don't really have prior experience with Javascript.

About