• I went through quite a few high end watches and tried to find a bit of relevant information:

• Actually, my old watch can also calculate monthly and weekly mileage, diplay infos about previous tracks (date, racing time, distance, avg and max speed and HR).
    • I'm checking high end watches. The VO2Max is out of the scope of what we need, IMHO (it's accurate only with a lab, a threadmill and gas monitoring).
    • Can prepare a route using openstreetmaps, save it in the watch and have indications given on the watch, with map, or just turn-by-turn directions with a compass and distances (routing).
      -Round trip running. Using the same stuff as described previously, when you're done running, you can ask the app to direct you towards your starting point.
      -There's a lot of running metrics with cadence, stride, length, ground contact time. I'm not running with this kind of watch, so I'm not familiar with what to do with it. Ground contact time especially seems too geeky to be exploitable.
      -Something that can be interesting, especially for cycling, is the elevation profile of the track, angles (see attached pictures)
    • We spoke earlier about zones. One other metric being used is Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE). I've duckduckgoed it and stumbled upon this article about smartwatches Machine learning and runners " This data is being used to make individualized training prescriptions". High end sport watches are using this to suggest people to rest, or have a High Intensity interval training or rather a recovery run, or a long run, depending on this and data from previous runs. Plenty of other suggestions and calculations about load intensity, energy levels, and so forth...If I understand this correctly, maybe there's something seriously interesting here, but someone needs to poach engineers in this specific fields (smartwatches an running) for help ! To put it in simple terms, for the end user, it provides a full training plan for the week/month/year, with diversified training to maximize performance without overdoing it. Gordon needs one that tells him when to slow down with work !
      Some of the things proposed here could actually be separate apps, as Gordon suggested.

2 Attachments

• routing.png
    • polar altitude.png
About

Avatar for Fteacher @Fteacher started