You are reading a single comment by @fanoush and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Just a slightly related note, after I drowned my Kickstarter Bangle JS2, I found an Alibaba link to a ~$50 sample Q3 from SMAWatch. I think I got lucky because the price at the link promptly went up to $200 after I placed my order!

Anyway, the sample I got is lucky to run for 16 hours before it dies. My drowned KS was still operational, except for its button, so I was able to compare the two. The new sample one was running about 3degC hotter according to the internal temperature sensor, and had a case temperature about 1degC hotter according to my FLIR camera.

That 1degC difference remained even when I turned them both off. Although that test was a mistake because now I can't turn my KS Bangle back on because the button doesn't work :-(

The shorter run time is clearly due to excessive power consumption by something. It's possible (probable?) that production variations are behind this issue.

• The shorter run time is clearly due to excessive power consumption by something. It's possible (probable?) that production variations are behind this issue.

I'd guess it is far more probable that it is some software issue. 16 hours vs weeks is not due to 'production variations'. 16 hours means it does not sleep.

You had to unlock it via SWD and flash your custom build. Which tool you used to do that? Using SWD via openocd keeps the debug hardware powered so it will die soon unless you know the magic to power it off at openocd disconnect time (nrf52.dap dpreg 4 0x04000000 ; shutdown).

Or does it happen again even after battery is completely drained? Then it is not SWD but something else (probably still software). Can you share full hex file you flashed after unlocking that has this issue?

About

Avatar for fanoush @fanoush started