• Problem fixed by letting the watch to run overnight until battery discharged completely.
    After reconnect to power and restart all works like a charm!

However I still need to find a way to safely change Serial1 baud rate.

Target is to set AT6558 GNSS (aka GPS) to lower power consumption mode by:

• disabling unnecessary NMEA messages,
    • set output frequency to lower rate for required messages
    • lower down serial baud rate
    • turning off receivers for unused constellations like Baidu and GLONASS (I am in Canada)

Or opposite, to set GNSS to high performance mode, 10Hz fixes, capturing sats stats, etc.

Further plan is to start using CSIP CASIC binary protocol instead of NMEA.
    That, theoretically, should also help.

• I did the work on the gpssetup app on Bangle 1 for putting the GPS into low power mode.

I experimented with baud rate but its just sends data at a lower speed it does not put the GPS to sleep between fixes.

Sending 60 bytes at 4800 baud or 9600 baud is not going to make a lot of difference. All the chip has done has throttled its speed - but its still fully alive. I suspect its the receiver part of these chips that use up the power.

To get the GPS on Bangle 2 to use less power we need to find the configuration commands to tell the GPS to sleep for X seconds after getting a fix. I have not spent much time on this yet as it took me 30+ hours of trial and error last time and that was with a UBLOX chip and a datasheet in English - so to be honest I've been putting it off. But sooner or later I will have to bite the bullet as the GPS on the B2 flattens the battery pretty quickly.

The only way to do this is to look at the datasheet and understand the config commands. Then look for example code that uses those commands. I managed to find a number of examples on the UBLOX chip in C and then converted them to run in javascript.

About