You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • ChangeLog file. It's a free-form text file

Just a note about this - it's not free-firm, there's a very specific form that all apps should use, and if they don't then the commit checks fail. I've had to change quite a few already ;)

The thing about increased info displayed is someone has to write that info and keep it up to date, and honestly that's usually not the fun bit of writing an app so it doesn't get done as much. The screenshots are pretty easy to add and that is being done now, which is a big help.

re: favourites/reviews/etc I'm always a bit iffy about sending things to a server when it's not super clear that is what is being done. I will add reviews at some point, and I'll do that with something on espruino.com/banglejs.com - perhaps only pulling in the reviews when the site is hosted there and leaving them off on GitHub posted versions?

• The thing about increased info displayed is someone has to write that info and keep it up to date

Hm, if the changelog is required to have a specific from, I still very much agree with @andrewg_oz that oldest to newest is not the expected form of a changelog, why did you decide to do it that way?

honestly that's usually not the fun bit of writing an app so it doesn't get done as much

Okay, agree to disagree (I love writing docs and tell people how to use what I have created ;P), but I would argue that one can still require to put more info in the initial app submission which doesn't need to be updated. I mentioned a longer description of what the app does, the aforementioned screenshots / mp4 showcase of the app, then an (author) link if people want to previously, and I still think those hold up/should be required for every app and make sense in every app while not being too much work.

sending things to a server when it's not super clear

Agreed for the favourites, though I very much like the idea of counting favourites for apps. Maybe a pop up the first time, asking people to opt in to sharing their favourites with the world?

perhaps only pulling in the reviews when the site is hosted there and leaving them off on GitHub posted versions?

Hmmm, not sure I like this. Are you doing it already with other code in the repo? Otherwise you need to write this, it requires some kind of check, and it might confuse people why feature X doesn't work on their end. I would honestly rather have a dedicated database api repo and put steps on how to set it up/link it to the .io website then having code only run when the domain is banglejs.com or the hoster is not github.io

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started