You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Does my code for X steps in Y time actually work though? It's pretty basic - you're just storing how long ago each step occurred. If the second from last step occurred less than 3 seconds ago then it's good. It feels like a state machine is overkill.

Yes, the ringing is a pain. I'd originally hoped that the filter would have the effect of significantly amplifying repeated steps (which it does) but the flipside is it tends to make instantaneous peaks oscillate. It's why I though raising the threshold would be a good help, as you have to have really strong movements to get peaks anywhere near as high as you'd get when you start doing repeated movements.

If you look at the step count tester I'd posted up at https://github.com/gfwilliams/step-count­ then it actually produces nice graphs where you can see the behaviour in relation to the threshold.

It's entirely possible that a simple high/low pass filter (rather than bandpass) wouldn't ring though - and since we're counting step frequency probably all we care about is cutting out high frequency.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started