You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I spent a good couple of hours looking at the code.

is it substantially worse than it was before, or only marginally better?

Gut feel ...about the same. Thats not bery scientific I know. I have have generally got used to measuring activepedom and then using the latest firmware through activepedom. That felt better. I have previously only tested walks and done comparisons against my AmizFit Bip. OR I have tested sitting still or watching TV to watch out for false step detecting. This was the first time I decided to do a midnight to 6pm test.

I wouldn't add your widget to the main app store

I think we need a javascript implementation that people can tweak. Its a lot easier than having to flash the firmware and means you can test multiple iterations on the same firmware. For me to go back to the previous version I will have to reflash older cutting edge firmware.

I have started reading a few papers that I have downloaded. A number of people have tested multiple approaches BUT they never show any code that you can look at. One thought I had was about writing to all the authors of papers in the last 5 years and asking if they were aware of Bangle and it they would like to attempt a step counter in javascript. If we provide a basic template App or Widget then it is easier to get started. Might not get much engagement but you never know. There is a substantial amount of time and effort needed for these kind of things as you need to repeat multiple tests many times with different people and different versions of software and algorithms.

Another idea might be to crowd fund for a cash prize for someome to write an accurate step counter that will be open source for Bangle. A free Bangle is not going to attract that many to have a go otherwise. I think there might be enough of us wanting a good step counter that we could each chip in £20 to get it done. 20 such donations would make a cash prize of £400.

Ref the accelerometer being 12.5Hz - has anyone done any tests to validate that it is regular ?

Also the papers I read suggested 20Hz as an ideal sampling freq. Thinking outloud - I reckon I generally walk at 2 steps per second. Thats only 6 samples per step at 12.5Hz, where as 20Hz would give 10 samples per step. Granted you only need to see the crossing of the thresholds.

It feels like there is an assumption somewehere that is not correct in practice. Again not very scientific.

Is there any accuracy data on the how the stock firmware step counter performs ? Could it be limited by the hardware ?

About