You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Yes, I'd go for ESP8266 over CC3000 if you were using WiFi. Cheaper, smaller, and more reliable.

However you could also consider using non-WiFi if you wanted. For instance you could use RFM69 modules, NRF24, or even raw 433Mhz.

433Mhz or 868Mhz like the RFM69 will work over a longer distance than WiFi, and use much less power.

If you did use something like a Pico it has a temperature sensor built in. It's not super-accurate, but it might be good enough to measure temperature fluctuations?

I'd also be tempted to use a Raspberry Pi for a base station - just because you can use it for other things as well, and could do the webpages with something the PHP if that's what you were happier with. As it does HTTPS it could securely push any non-secure data you have online too.

While running absolutely everything on the ESP8266 is definitely an option, you'd definitely be one of the first people to try it and as such might encounter some issues. For one, I don't think Espruino on the ESP8266 is currently able to enter any low power modes, so it wouldn't last long on a battery if that's what you had planned.

I'm actually looking at doing something very similar which I'm hoping to get done in the next few weeks - I'm going to try with basic 433Mhz transmitter modules for now (after all, you only need to transmit, and they're nice and cheap :).

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started