• @alexanderbrevig I don't have enough experience for a port myself, although it is something I'm building up to. As always it's finding the time. So if anybody wants to have a go, it would be most welcome. As I said on the other thread, I'd expect the BME series from Bosch is likely to replace the BMP and other series on most breakouts soon and is being touted as the IoT chip of the future.

@Gordon Doing multiple flights is the ultimate goal. In those situations where the weather might go into fog and where the impact is high, e.g. busy airfields, being able to sample every hour, every 15 minutes, or almost continuously could be very useful. As flights typically only take three minutes (depending on altitude), then you would get three or four flights per set of batteries and just keep changing them out/charging as long as you need to fly. It only takes a minute to change the flight batteries out. Once I've settled on a sensor package, and the BME280 looks a likely candidate, I plan to add a 433Mhz radio downlink for live collection and monitoring of the data as it is sampled. Little bit of web browser coding and live graphs will be possible. BME280 will greatly simplify the physical setup as then it will be just the BME280 and a GPS module attached to the Espruino rather than my current setup of BMP180, HIH-4060, MAX31855 + K type TC and GPS which is getting messy. Power usage will also decrease as well. Nice.

On the graphs above, with almost no wind on the first flight, you see these small temperature inversions (temperature actually rising with height) and is what causes air pollution and mist/fog to hang about in a layer just above the ground on cool mornings/low wind days. The second temperature graph as the front is arriving, wind has picked up and has mixed those few hundred feet of atmosphere together giving a much more homogenous atmosphere (and can be seen less obviously in the humidity as well). It's neat to see in action.

Yes, the BME680 also looks interesting with the air quality sensor as well. I've seen a paper by Bosch (but typically cannot find the link) where they have shown they can replace the much larger, heated MQ type specific gas sensors with the MEMS packages soon. That will truly make tiny sensor packages which you can use anywhere. Exciting times. :)

Cheers

Ian

About

Avatar for IanWatkins @IanWatkins started