You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @user6779, sorry for not replying to you properly when you first contacted me.

It's great having a Chinese language site available, and I'd really like to have some way to support it. Selling Espruino-based boards is tricky - it's not specific to you, but to anyone who sells their own boards with Espruino on. It's nice having a wider variety of boards that run Espruino, but at the same time I'm trying to support myself while working full-time on it. Right now the day-to-day sales (if you don't count the short-term boost from the KickStarters) aren't enough to pay me even minimum wage, so I just can't afford to do anything that might eat in to the small amount that I do make (and that means featuring other boards on espruino.com).

Looking at the 'json' files the Web IDE loads off espruino.com, I can see that right now 40% of the boards used with the Web IDE aren't using Espruino board's firmware (they may still be using NanoJS/etc though!). Obviously it's not practical to think this way, but if those were all Espruino boards then I'd actually be making enough to support myself.

So yes, it's hard - and if I didn't have to worry about getting paid I'd have loved to support you (and the other Espruino boards). Why did you stop selling the NanoJS board though? Originally you'd said that the existing Espruino board was just too expensive - is that still the case? I'd be happy if you wanted to resell the existing Espruino board (the price to distributors is much, much less than the $39.90 that Seeed sell it at).

As I'd said before, if you wanted to sell shields (maybe it makes more sense for the Espruino Pico) it'd be perfect. I'd put them on the site and would even try and get them into the distributors that I have. Hopefully something like that could be mutually beneficial, and I could then properly feature espruino.cn without any worries that it might eat into sales of the 'official' Espruino board.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started