gtoal

Member since May 2015 • Last active May 2015
  • 1 conversations
  • 2 comments

Retired programmer.

Most recent activity

• in General

My Pico arrived today. I spent an hour reading the docs to understand what it was, then installed the Chrome terminal app and got started... the USB device was recognised as a "Teensy USB" on com3, and the IDE reported connected, but I could not type the "1+2" test or anything else for that matter. I did wonder if I'd hit the problem that was warned about, of removing the device while in the browser, so I restarted the browser; then restarted windows; then powered down and up again - none of those actions has cleared the problem.

Is it possible it is defective hardware? It's behaving as if the serial data from PC to pico is not connected.

I also tried using the serial TTY emulator in Putty (9600 8N1) and it too connected, but as soon as I typed anything it gave an error writing to serial port. (Also I tried this after a reboot just in case it was Chrome holding the port open)

Later update: I found an old portable and tried on it. Very similar behaviour, except that this time I got an error message during the initial USB attachment about not being able to install an "STM32 Virtual ComPort in FS Mode". Checking back in the device manager on the original PC I see that there is such a device with a red X through it on this machine.

I'm guessing I have to locate this driver and install it? It wasn't found automatically. Is this the right driver? http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/P­F257938 (VCP_V1.4.0_setup.exe) - I tried installing it - apparently successfully - but still no response from the pico...

OK, much later... although it appeared to have installed the STM driver, it had not. However there is now a directory (below) containing more installers:

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtua­l comport driver\Win8

In that directory I ran dpinst_amd64.exe - and now I have a COM4 virtual port that talks to the Pico! (at least after a reboot)

It's not 100% right - the echo was one character out of synch - but after a disconnect, unplug and reinsert, and reconnect... it's now working!

I'll leave this here for the benefit of anyone else having this problem.

Graham

Actions