user118421

Member since Sep 2020 • Last active Oct 2020
  • 3 conversations
  • 14 comments

Most recent activity

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

That was it! Turning the blue poti on the I2C board made the text appear :)

So happy to have this working - many thanks to all for all your kind help!!

Thank you - I can't find any 'Vin' pin? I moved the I2C board 'VCC' orange wire from the Pico 3.3 to VBAT as in picture but that did not change the result - still display is lit but no text.
    Unfortunately I do not have an Arduiono to test on. I tried an original Espruino board and an ESP32 running Espruino but no luck there either..

Thank you so much for all replies!

I tried these three suggestions you made but still no "Hello World!". The display is lit and now I don't get any error message. The console.log message is printed but no text on the LCD. Could it be some additional silly beginners mistake I'm doing? The good thing is that I got the Nokia 5110 display I mentioned before to work - it was just a connectivity issue and now it works perfect :)

var i = new I2C();
    i.setup({scl:B6, sda:B7});   
    // PCF8574AT based IO expanders default to address 0x3F
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(i, 0x3F);   //also tried changing 0x3F to 0x27   
    lcd.print("Hello World!");
    console.log("test");

var i = new I2C();
    i.setup({scl:B6, sda:B7});   
    // PCF8574AT based IO expanders default to address 0x3F
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(i);      
    console.log("test");

I2C2.setup({scl:B10, sda:B3});
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(I2C2);
    console.log("test");

Many thanks for all help!

When I measure the I2C receives 4V4 from VBAT so maybe that's not sufficient.
    The 3.3 pin did not work either.
    Removing the the print line still leaves me with the same error (except of course the part related to the print command).

I really don't care about this specific display but as it failed just like the Nokia 5110, is there any specific LCD display you can recommend that you know will work with the Espruino boards?

Unfortunately it gives almost the same error, except these two lines;

in function "connectI2C" called from line 4 col 51
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(I2C1, 0x3F);

|_| espruino.com
     2v07 (c) 2019 G.Williams
    >Uncaught InternalError: Timeout on I2C Write BUSY
     at line 2 col 13
    g|4,g|4,g,g])
                ^
    in function "a" called from line 1 col 7
    a(51,1);a(50,1);a(40,1);a(12,1);a(6,1);a­(1,1);return{write:a...
          ^
    in function "h" called from line 2 col 15
    g|4,g|4,g,g])})
                  ^
    in function "connectI2C" called from line 4 col 51
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(I2C1, 0x3F);
                                                      ^
    Uncaught Error: Cannot read property 'print' of undefined
     at line 5 col 4
       ^

• in ESP32

I was able to play raw audio files directly from the code and also from an sd card (on the original Espruino board) according to the instructions shown below but I have a speed issue.

Placing the raw audio inline it seems to be played at random speed. I should use the Base 64 option when converting? I believe I followed the instructions exactly but when the file is played the speed varies each time.

If I instead stream from the sd card it sounds like the file is played at very high speed. I believe I followed the instructions exactly but maybe I need to change some parameters in the streaming example?

Thank you, that is good to know - sorry for being so ignorant, total beginner :)

Should I then simply wire as in this picture?
    I2C <-> Pico
    GND <-> GND
    VCC <-> VBAT
    SDA <-> B7
    SCL <-> B6

I still get the same error though..

Thank you very much for helping!

The pin mistake is embarrassing, unfortunately correcting it did not help, still same error. Does the 5v requirement mean I cannot use this display with the Pico? The datasheet seems to me to suggest that either 3.3v or 5v can be used but that’s probably just me not understanding how to read it. I tried connecting the HD44780 to an ESP32 as well as it has a 5v pin but no luck and also tried a Nokia 5110 to the Pico according to instructions but nothing happens. Probably just me doing something wrong but then maybe I could at least stop trying to connect a HD44780 to the Pico?

Actions