• hi,

I believe mechanical parts will fail, so the most vulnerable thing on the bangle2 would be the button.

for clock -> launcher, i got the "pattern launcher",
    and when i am inside an app, i use "swip back to clock"/"close button" etc to get back to clock.

however, after install a new app,
    the watch ask me to "hold button to reload", in this step any software way to proceed beyond it?

i have read that a failed button almost = failed watch, i want to prevent it at any cost.

thank you.

• should be "hold button to reload", hold*

• Honestly, I know you see a 'failed button' thread here, but don't forget there are getting on for 10,000 Bangle.js 2 watches out there and most people tend to report all their grievances publicly on the forum. So you stand less than a 0.2% chance of a button failure, if that (since the button's got a lot better since the initial KickStarter batch).

But...

hold button to reload is built into the app loader - it had been suggested that the app loader could just automatically reload the watch after uploads, and that's probably not a huge issue to add. We could do it behind a setting as if someone has a very slow watch face it might make uploads more unreliable.

However, having the button reload and ultimately reset the watch is built into the firmware because it's really important that the 99.9% of people that are unaffected can't brick their watches. It can be overloaded with https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Butto­n+Reset though.

• hi, thx for reply

1. i did read those thread but it's independent. my personality is minimalism so i try to cheat my gadgets right and use them as long as possible.
      Say on android phone i use finger print to wake my phone and some apps to make it sleep.

2. i'll read that, thanks

• hi,
    i read the refence you mentioned:https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Butto­n+Reset
    it seems to me that i can disable the (press button 1.5s to reload app) and (press button 10s to reboot the watch).
    but what i concern is "adding a new app now it ask me to press button to reload app".

may i ask:

1. if i disable the (press button 1.5s to reload app i.e. Bangle.setOptions({btnLoadTimeout:0});),­ will the app loader still ask me to press the button for 1.5s or will it directly pass thru it?

2. or i have to wish that later version of app loader will have an option to let people choose "reload automatically"?

thanks.

• You're right - if you disable app reload you won't be able to exit that screen.

However if you disable app reload you have other problems since many apps don't have a way to exit except using the button. So if you do disable the button you would have to add some other method of going back (maybe a swipe, or double-tap with the accelerometer or similar).

So yes, ideally the app loader would have an option to not show it, but for the watch to be functional you'd need to add another way to go back anyway

• hi,
    i dig into you old post:
    https://forum.espruino.com/comments/1703­1039/

you said:
    "Although it is possible that by pushing the button gently and moving your finger around in circles you can bring it back to life, or you can connect with the Web IDE and type load() on the left-hand side to reload the Bangle's watch face without a button, so even without the button it could still be used as a temperature/pressure sensor or display of some kind - however unfortunately if it runs out of power or is turned off, there won't be a way to get it working again."

i just tried,
    i just installed a new app, and then connect the banglev2 to webide and use load(), then i can bypass that "hold the button to reload app" screen.

now with the "pattern launcher", and "swipe back to clock", together with this load() trick,
    provided i dont let it drain to 0 battery, i think i dont need to touch the button again.

thank you.

ps: if later can disable that screen from app loader,
    it is good. but not urgent, thanks

• hi,
    using those apps and also the webIDE's load() function,
    i can use bangle v2 in an almost buttonless way... on PC.

yet if i am on street,
    connected android + gadgetbridge.js to banglev2,
    if i add/del some apps and need a "hold button to reload"
    while i am using the app store INSIDE GB,
    the individual chrome cant connect to bangle v2.

so currently i have to disconnect GB-banglev2,
    go to chrome+webIDE to load() the banglev2,
    and re-connect GB-bangle v2.

not urgent, but please
    it would be nice if the load() could also be triggered inside GB.js

thank you.

• Just added.

If you try the development app loader, then More... -> Advanced Options -> Automatically reload watch after app App Loader actions it'll do it

• thankyou,
    will try.

• yeah it worked.
    thx

for others,
    we have to paste the dev version s http into bangle.js s setting ourselfs.

• I'll push an update to the main app loader next week - I just like to give things a while to sit in the dev app loader in case something got broken!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

proceed beyond "hold button to reload" without using the button?

Posted by Avatar for ccchan @ccchan

Actions