Help with flashing a hy mini board with a mac

Posted on
  • I have done everything in the how to on flashing the board. But i get to the part

Download the stm32loader.py Python script from https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/master/scripts/stm32loader.py
    Run python stm32loader.py -p MySerialPort -evw espruino_for_your_device.bin
    For Espruino Boards add -k to the command-line. This will make flashing more reliable.

On Mac OS, MySerialPort will probably look a lot like /dev/tty.usbserial### where ### is a number. You can use the 'Tab' key to autocomplete once you have typed /dev/tty.usbserial

And i have no idea what it is meaning for me to do. and the link for more information isn't working. Any better tutorials?

• you should use the /dev/cu.#### port name.

Open the Espruino WEB IDE and click on connect/disconnect icon (upper left corner)
    this show a window with existing ports - write down the /dev/cu.####
    for your USB-Serial-Controller and use this as MySerialPort

• You may have just plugged into the wrong USB port. There are two, and one of them goes straight to the device - which won't be programmed so won't work... you need the other one.

Open the Espruino WEB IDE and click on connect/disconnect icon

You'll only want to do that when you've successfully run stm32loader - once you've done that you can use the Quick Start tutorial for the rest.

Honestly, if you want something that 'just works' then buy one of the proper Espruino boards. The boards are a little extra, but that money all goes towards making sure that there's good documentation, support, and testing of the boards.

• I knew how to do this on windows but its the mac part i dont understand since I'm fairly new, can you actually talk through each step? I dont understand the myserialport or the python stuff. Can you talk through each of those steps in the most simplest way?

• python is just what runs the stm32loader.py software, and myserialport is the name of your serial port. On Windows it'd have been called COM4 or similar, but on Mac it's called something like /dev/tty.usbserial1234

But seriously, if you know how to do it on windows then find a windows PC, flash it, and then you can just use the board on your Mac when it's got Espruino installed.

• So i open the file with python loader and i get this.
    Garretts-MacBook-Air:~ GarrettLeffue$ cd '/Users/GarrettLeffue/Documents/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw' '/Users/GarrettLeffue/Documents/stm32loa­der.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/GarrettLeffue/Documents/stm32loa­der.py", line 29, in

import serial

ImportError: No module named serial

How do i solve this?

• And I have two ports i believe, one /dev/cu.usbmodem1421 and the other /dev/tty.usbmodem1421 What do i do with these?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Help with flashing a hy mini board with a mac

Posted by Avatar for GarrettL @GarrettL

Actions