You are reading a single comment by @tom.gidden and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi Alex,

Well, both HM-10 (and RFduino, incidentally) seem to be well set-up to do iBeacon functionality. However, if you actually want to use BLE for something more useful (such as a sensor, like a heart rate monitor, temperature reporting, etc.) then you need to be able to construct services, characteristics, and so forth.

I can't see any documented way of doing this with HM-10, at least consistently. The furthest the datasheet goes is about major and minor numbers, which are part of the iBeacon functionality.

...unless I'm missing something.

Put simply, with an HM-10, how would you configure it to advertise a sensor service and equip a smartphone app to connect and collect that sensor data? I can't see any way to do that with the HM-10, and it seems to be the primary use-case for BLE (not, as many think, the iBeacon capability)

Any insights you have would be appreciated.

(I'm still knee-deep in the NRF51822 SDK, which is a major chore: rather than being undocumented and possibly impossible like the HM-10, it's definitely possible, but even a basic sensor app is hundreds of lines of code for all the advertising, asynchronous connection/disconnection handling, service delivery, etc.)

Tom

About

Avatar for tom.gidden @tom.gidden started