Espruino on Android or Web?

Posted on
  • Hi,

I'm enjoying using the Chrome Extension for Espruino, but I just learned that you can't use extensions on Android. Are there any solutions for this? I guess if I can write to serial port, then I can program an Espruino board, right? I'd hate to write an app; is it possible to write a web interface instead? Ideally, users could go to my website and send signals to the Espruino. Even wirelessly over bluetooth?

Thanks,
    Rehman

• If you attach a bluetooth module you can wirelessly program from an app like BlueTerm. Theres also an app called Android script that lets you program the espruino with OTG(USB micro to female), Dave Smart made a video on it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nwq5Quh­g4s

• Thanks Ducky. I can't count on my users having a device that supports OTG. But the BlueTerm app is good. I'm thinking the easiest solution may be to figure out how to run the existing Espruino Chrome extension on a mobile. Even if that means wrapping the extension as an app; if that's even possible.

Regards,
    Rehman

• Perhaps you could do something similar to what happens on the espruino code examples where a link opens an app with the code it it from the URI.
    Take a look at this post on Android URIs
    You will need an app with access to bluetooth, or OTG, so native or you could use PhoneGap if you prefer web languages.
    Unfortunately javascript always seems to get limited access :( so even in desktop browsers Bluetooth and usb/serial is no allowed so an app is required

• Thanks!

• If you just want to send code to Espruino (it still won't work in Android) then go into Web IDE's settings -> general -> "Show Copy URL Icon" and you get an icon that lets you copy your code to the clipboard as a URL - as Ducky said above.

Targeting Android would be awesome though. Most of the Web App would run directly in a Web Browser, so if someone wrote an app that would serve up the HTML/JavaScript, and would then provide a WebSocket connection for accessing the Serial Port, the Web IDE could be made to run on whatever platform that app ran on...

• ... having said that, Chrome is adding 'app' support in Android - so it may just be a matter of time before the Web App magically starts working anyway.

• Great! Maybe I'll wait and see if Google adds that functionality in the near future. Thanks.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino on Android or Web?

Posted by Avatar for rsm @rsm

Actions