You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Yes, you can do it - in fact I believe there's a forum thread on it with some code right here: https://forum.espruino.com/conversationsĀ­/341070/

I guess ideally we should make it a module. It uses shiftOut to push the data out quickly, and with JIT now in Espruino could be optimised a little more (although it only outputs 1bpp for each colour - to do greyscale you'd need to go much faster which Espruino would struggle with).

However because of the way the displays work, as allObjects says, you have to scan them out all the time or they go blank - so if for instance you run some JS that takes 100ms to run, that would cause the display to flicker off while that JS was running.

I had been playing with one here a while back and you can often hack around the issue, for instance just making sure it looks like the display is meant to go blank if you have to do something that may occupy the processor for a while

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started