Is "Wake on Touch" actually "Wake on Tap"?

Posted on
  • I have only "Wake on Touch" and "Wake on BTN1" enabled and noticed recently that my Bangle 2 will wake even if I haven't touched the screen or button. After some experimentation I determined that"Wake on Touch" doesn't actually require touching the screen at all. For example, just "double-tapping" on the back of my (watch) hand strongly enough will unlock the screen. Conversely, softly touching the display doesn't unlock it. It's not really that big of a problem but seems to cause unexpected battery drain and phantom touches.

So, would it be possible to make "Wake on Touch" check that the screen has actually been touched? If not, perhaps the setting should be renamed to "Wake on Tap"?

(Thanks so much to Gordon and all the app developers for making my Bangle 1 & 2 such fun, useful, and amazing devices!)

• Is "Wake on Touch" actually "Wake on Tap"?

Yes, it is :) From the settings app's info page:

On Bangle.js 2 when locked the touchscreen is turned off to save power. Because of this, Wake on Touch actually uses the accelerometer, and you need to actually tap the display to wake Bangle.js.

The issue is that the touchscreen actually draws a bunch of power when active. So I guess maybe it could be left on, but it'll reduce your battery life to under a week from the touchscreen alone, and it felt like that wasn't a good compromise.

• Ah, of course--that makes a lot of sense and is indeed a good compromise. My apologies for not noticing your explanation about this on the Setting app's info page.

Thank you very much for all your hard and amazing work on the Bangles!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Is "Wake on Touch" actually "Wake on Tap"?

Posted by Avatar for TTBangler @TTBangler

Actions