• Hi! :) I'm looking to procure few pairs of bangle.js for a PhD research project. Before I proceed to procure it, I would like to know the following. Could anyone help with this?

Context: I'm trying to develop a game/app of sorts that encourages users to perform environmental, physical and social activities by stepping outdoors. The feedback from each activity performed will be made visible on the bangle screen for individual users. The screen will also reflect social feedback as received by other users in the group from performing their activities. I have the following questions.

1. Can I sync the bangle devices such that, the post-activity feedback reflects across multiple screens (bangle devices)? So that users are motivated to perform actions by watching the feedback received by other users for their activity.

2. Secondly, can we use gps/location services in the background when an activity is being performed at a specific location? I would like to tie the outcome of a particular activity to a specific location. In other words, I'm building a game that encourages users to step outdoors to various locations to perform various activities. I would like to use location and time spent at a location as input data for the system to register and validate the activity performed. Additionally, the user will register the activity by tapping on a start and stop button- but since there are no sensors to record some of these activities, I need to rely on tracking location change from the user's home location to confirm that a certain activity was truly performed.

It will be helpful to know if the hardware will support the execution of these ideas before I proceed to purchase it. Thank you! :)

• Can I sync the bangle devices such that, the post-activity feedback reflects across multiple screens (bangle devices)?

Yes... you have a few options, but the easiest - if you only have a few bytes of data - is to 'advertise' the data via Bluetooth and then each Bangle can scan every so often and see what people in the area have done on their devices.

Otherwise if it's paired to Gadgetbridge, we now have a Gadgetbridge build that'll allow the watch to do an HTTP request to the internet.

Secondly, can we use gps/location services in the background when an activity is being performed at a specific location?

Yes, but realistically if you want to know the location at all times that means keeping the GPS on, and right now that limits battery life to ~8 hours. When you turn GPS on it can take up to a minute to get a lock, so depending on your use case that may or may not be an option.

• Thank you for the clarification Gordon. That helps! Just wanted to understand the shipping timeline (approx.) to Melbourne, Australia if purchased this week. Looking to order 3-4 devices. Not sure if there is any other forum that I may ask this question. Thanks.

• The standard Royal Mail option is around 7 working days, but I'd give it 10 (and occasionally it does take a lot longer).

We can ship by DHL though (around £40 vs £15) which should be maybe 3 days max - send an email to contact@espruino.com with your address if you want it, and we can sort an order out for you. We offer DHL to some countries in the shop, but we can't for Australia because for some bits of Australia DHL charge double, so we need to quote individually :)

• we now have a Gadgetbridge
    build that'll allow the watch to do an HTTP request to the internet.

Where can i get it ?

• There's a discussion on http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­370708/?offset=25#comment16520615 - best to just PM me for access right now.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Developing a game on bangle.js that allows users to access the feedback received from their individual gameplay across multiple (2-4) bangle devices

Posted by Avatar for user143357 @user143357

Actions