You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks for doing the review and bringing this app to my attention, I had not spotted it and I enjoy looking at other ideas. Its a good but of work.

It falls down (in my opinion) on the touch controls as the library is using on('drag') which is really insensitive to touch. It would work a lot better and be more responsive if it was using on('touch'). I do this in my Stopwatch touch App.

The author has actually built a number of seperate apps which get launch and share date with timer clock. In order to hide apps like this (and I think there is a use case for hidding apps) then it would need a setting in metadata.json to say 'hide in launcher'.

There is a 2nd way to build such apps (more what you are after) which is to have one large app that does everything. Then switching between screens is superfast. However there are limits on that approach on a Bangle 1 as you can run out of RAM very quickly. I built Kitchen Combo with that approach in mind on Bangle 1 and ran into lots of issues as I was pushing the watch to its limits.

I had thought about doing something similar with Stopwatch touch so that you can flip back and forth to it., and write the state to a JSON file so it can be picked up when the app reloads. You are right in that basic digital watches and other smart watches do this kind of integration seemlessly, but they are fixed, you can never do anything else. We do have a lot of different UI options open to us on Bangle 2 - which is in its early days. The number of Apps that go beyond a clock, date and font is still quite small at the moment. But its great to see someone build an app like this that is trying to push the boundaries of what can be done. In doing so it raises the bar for everyone else.

Glad you liked, Rebble. I'm probably not going to revist it though. I did try and develop some nice weather icons for it but they are very time consuming to get right and look nice. I'm working on other stuff right now.

About