You are reading a single comment by @myownself and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • but the old one required that the acceleration be below a threshold, then above in order to trigger
    and I don't think it would have suffered as much with this.

The old approach was way off though, it was not a practical, beleivable step counter in any shape or form.

I think for now increase RAW_THRESHOLD to 15. But around 16, 17 you start to have a step counter that wont count steps properly.

I think a calibration process would be the best way to go. Having the Bangle lie flat on a table for 1 minute and work out where the noise offset is. Then offset the raw signal. Either that or another approach. But to be honest at 12.5 sampling frequency filter design is severely constrained - as high frequency would be classed as up to 6.5Hz. After that all bets are off due to the Nyquest sampling rule.

@myownself - you will be interested in this thread if you have not already spotted.

I dont think I can take this any further, it needs fresh eyes. It was a lot of experimentation. We have a good test harness and good reference accellogs so any hypothesis can be tested to see if it improves matters.

• I've spotted it, thanks.
    I haven't had chance to try with that sample yet, but I'm hoping at least one of my experiments will cope with it.

But to be honest at 12.5 sampling frequency filter design is severely constrained - as high frequency would be classed as up to 6.5Hz. After that all bets are off due to the Nyquest sampling rule.
    Yes, I've so far found that filters haven't been that helpful because of the sampling frequency.

About

Avatar for myownself @myownself started