You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • what if in the future there will be several times more apps? For such a case, you will definitely need sorting by rating or other convenient quality criteria.

Yes, absolutely. I think this is the real issue - initially there were only a few apps but even now it's probably too many to just scroll through. Not having the ability to screenshot on the Bangle feels like a big issue to me as well - for clocks especially a screenshot feels very important, and while some folks have gone to the effort of making them with a camera, many (including me!) haven't.

"Recommended" or "Best of" Tab

I had wondered about this - That's the easiest option for sure - but this feels to me significantly less fair than a ratings system.

a rating cannot be given without comment

That sounds like a good idea. It'd need some thought but I feel like the ability to flag a comment/rating as no longer accurate would be needed.

So for instance if someone rates something 1 star saying it crashes and then someone else fixes that crash, we'd want to delete that comment.

From my point of view, if I could have a script that ran through GitHub issues and generated a rating then that'd save a whole bunch of time and admin - but again it's not actually very easy for non-developer users to contribute to (unless we could somehow use the GitHub APIs to make a comment actually post into a GitHub issue?).

I mean is it possible to make a hard fault by just uploading javascript app?

It shouldn't be possible to 'brick' the Bangle by uploading an app, but you could make it reboot the watch or something like that I guess, and apps that take a long time to render could make uploads/etc unreliable (however I have tried to work around that).

However if you compare Bangle.js with other watches like Amazfit then I guess it's missing some things 'out of the box' - specifically fitness functionality and tracking - and that's probably something I should look into more. While there are apps like BangleRun and the pedometer they don't really make a coherent offering and I imagine they're pretty hard to find for new users.

Honestly it's a bit frustrating because I never really get a clear answers for why the users want a return. It's more just general unhappiness with the whole thing - I think it's often kicked off by buyers in Europe getting stung with import VAT and a delay in shipping, and I'm sure lockdown doesn't help.

I think if you're in the right frame of mind then it's fine, but if you're actually trying to pick holes in Bangle.js it's pretty easy to find ways it doesn't live up to an Apple Watch.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started