• Hi,

Right now 2v09 firmware is available - it was released last week. I don't have a specific timeframe for the Oxford pedometer though.

I was really hoping the Oxford pedometer would be the solution to all our step counting problems, but I'm not convinced it is. The issue was that it was trained based on recorded data of people walking - not of standing still, typing or doing other tasks.

So the oxford pedometer code is arguably just as inaccurate with the contributed pedometer data (which contains a mix of activities) as the original Bangle.js one, plus it randomly records loads of steps even when the watch is sitting un-worn on the desk (it seems this can be fixed by stopping the automatic threshold getting too low though) and has quite a large extra resource usage.

I think the underlying issue with the pedometers is actually that they need to be able to detect a sequence of repetitive steps, rather than just an 'instantaneous' step that we do right now (eg https://blog.st.com/pedometer-mems-step-­count/).

So, I have been working on making a new step counter, using the contributed data to test on - but I don't know when that'll be ready. If others are interested in developing something or looking at what I've done I'm happy to upload it so they can have a play.

No embedded development experience needed - right now it's just a single C file that you run on your PC.

If there's any interest I'd be happy to have some kind of competition/prize for the most accurate step counter that's efficient enough to run on Bangle.js?

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started