You are reading a single comment by @Nic and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Sorry, I should have probably been a little more descriptive than "it didn't work"! On the original firmware Puck.accel() returned the object correctly but all the values (X, Y and Z for acc and gyro) were zero. I don't think I called it directly on the device; rather I wrote it to the device each time I tried - so it's probable that it was taking the last reading and there wasn't one...

It has been a few days now since it's been attached. The cat has always been a little tentative using the cat flap and he's a little more so now there's a Puck right in the middle of it - nonetheless has been using it. Then again, I think I'd be a little tentative too if I had to open doors with my face! I will probably offset it so he's more comfortable.

I've had a few teething issues. It's quite a distance away sitting at the furthest point in the conservatory - something I didn't initially give much thought too. The signal was a little weak for the RPi to pick up consistently.

I moved the Pi about a foot and a half along the unit it sits inside the house to be as close as possible to the Puck. I tweaked the Pi enclosure a bit and disabled unnecessary Wifi and Bluetooth on other devices near the Pi to reduce interference. With those tweaks it has been flawless.

I've been monitoring battery life too and it's depleting faster than I would like, despite running accel at the lowest Hz. E.getBattery() reported 80 right from the get go though - it's now at 60 (accounting for temperature fluctuation). It might just be a bad battery. I was running the same code as the other Pucks which included code to watch the button - I've removed all unnecessary code now to see if there's any improvement.

It is working though! We get a notification when he comes home, one when he leaves and I write it to his log in our app. I hope the Puck is resilient enough that I can repurpose the motion sensor - drives me nuts when he's just laying next to the cat flap and rolling around in the sun - to which we receive many notifications and if we're out have no idea whether he's in or out without checking camera feeds. When the day comes we're out in the evenings it will be great to know for certain whether he's in or not as the camera doesn't always pick him up.

About