You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I believe it's the actual company, but I'm not 100% sure. It'd be a full firmware hopefully - so Espruino plus a bootloader with the same key I use for Espruino, so effectively it'd be open to anyone even if you just wanted to use C/C++ (although developing via repeated DFU update would be super painful).

How price competitive this could be to typical ebay/aliexpress prices?

I don't know yet until I hear back from them... Hopefully it wouldn't be that far off if I can put in a ~1000 pcs order - maybe 30% more?

We'll see about the quantities. I think it really depends on the seller - I contacted one when I first made this thread and they weren't interested at all, and a year or so ago I contacted 001phone, but they would only consider custom firmwares for 20k units (shame really as they did a crazy one with everything including GPS inside it).

I had been in talks with someone who had found a watch manufacturer that was happy to do it (as well as providing the actual schematics), but then he told me he wanted me to do all the porting, put up the money, and then pay him per watch sold - so that one kind of faded out and I decided it was a bit underhand to go direct to the manufacturer.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started