• Great! It worked. It is quite an adventure to aim without having things at hand.

Something I missed is that you have an Espruino-Wifi (by the way: an excellent choice). But you managed to translate (to the same pins and 5V to VUSB). From now on I know.

So let's get started with building up some infrastructure / module that we then want to use this way

var FPR = require("GT522C3");
    var fpr1 = new FPR(); // or: ...(1,"Enrollment Office");
    var cb = function(err, data) { console.log(if (err) ? err : data); } // ...for now :(
             // for now, cb is even ignored... :( :( :( and the internal (tbd) is used
    function onInit() {
      Serial1.setup(9600, { tx:B6, rx:B7 });
      fpr1.connect(Serial1,cb,1); // open with extra info (version,...,serial number) 
    }

And this is some 'get going code' you paste into the right hand pane - the editor - and upload to the board. The last line is there only for development time (EDIT: code fixed based on post #8, thanks @user81574).

// begin module inline

var C = // for now just command stuff... but it could include more and become sub structured.
    {  OPEN: 0x01
    ,  CLOSE: 0x02
    ,  LED: 0x12

, EXTRA: 0x01
    , LED_ON: 0x01
    , LED_OFF: 0x00

};

// Constructor for a GT522C3 Device
    // id: optional device ID, an Integer 16 bit, default 1 0x0001
    // name: optional device name / location
    var D = function(id,loc) { 
      this.id = (typeof id === "undefined") ? 1 : id; // holds on to the device id
      this.name = name; // holds on to the optional name / location
      this.ser = undefined; // holds on to the serial the device is connected to
      this.open = false; // holds on to the state the device is in (open/closed)
    }, p = D.prototype;

// .connect(serial, cb) - connect w/ optional initialize (open, etc...)
    // cb: a callback function(err, data)
    //      err: undefined when ok, otherwise err object (tbd - to be defined)
    //      data: response object when ok (tbd)
    // xtra: optional booly truy for extra info
    //            (booly: something that evaluates to boolean true or false, therefore also called
    //                booly: absent, false, undefined, null, "", and 0 are all falsy, otherwise truy)
    // Note: if cb absent, only serial is stored and initialization has to be called separately
    p.connect = function(serial, cb, xtra) {
      this.serial.on("data", function(data){console.log(data);}); 
      if (cb) { this.open(cb, xtra); }
    };

// .open(cb, xtra) - open w/ optional extra information in response object
    // cb: a callback function(err, data)
    //      err: undefined when ok, otherwise err object: { _: this, ... }
    //          (for this fpr instance, and more tbd - to be defined)
    //      data: response object when ok, w/ xtra:
    //          falsy: { _: this }
    //          truy: { _: this, ver: aNumber, mxSize: aNumber, sn: aString }
    //              for this fpr instance, version number, isoAreaMaxSize, serial number
    // xtra: optional truy for extra info 
    p.open = function (cb, xtra) {
      this.cb = cb; // (incorrectly) for now...
      this.wri(this.cmd0(C.OPEN, xtra), cb);
    }

// .cmd0(cmd, xtra) - build command of structure 0 - only extra parm
    p.cmd0 = function(cmd, xtra) {
      var c = [0x55,0xAA,this.id&0xFF,this.id>>8,(xtra­)?0x01:0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00];
      return this.chk(c,1);
    };

// .chk(data, add) - add (append) or validate checksum byte
    //     data: a command without checksum byte or a response with checksum byte
    //     add: truy:  data is a command and is returned with calculated checksum byte added
    //          falsy: data is response and true is returned when checksum byte is ok, else false
    p.chk = function(data, add) {
      var s = 0, c = data.length, i = c - ((add) ? 0 : 2);
      while (i-- > 0) s += data[i]; s&=0xFF;
      if (add) { data.push(s&xFF); data.push((s>>8)&xFF); return data; }
      else return ((data[c] == (s&0xFF)) && (data[c+1] == ((s>>8)&0xFF)));
    };   

// .wri(data) - write data to device - (incorrectly) for now...
    p.wri = function(data) {
      this.cb(undefined, data);
    };

// exports = D; // will replace next line when stored as module
    Modules.addCached("GT522C3", function(){ modules = D; });

// end module (inline)

var FPR = require("GT522C3");
    var fpr1 = new FPR(); // or: ...(1,"Enrollment Office");
    var cb = function(err, data) { console.log((err) ? err : data); }; // ...for now :(
    function onInit() {
      Serial1.setup(9600, { tx:B6, rx:B7 });
      fpr1.connect(Serial1,cb,1); // open with extra info (version,...,serial number) 
    }
    setTimeout(onInit,1000);

This is nowhere near basic... but it is basics... (showing how to implement commands).

When uploaded, it should print stuff - including the firmwareVersion, isoAreaMaxSize and device serialNumber in the console.

I'm sure you can take it from here and add the .led(on, cb) (w/ on truy/falsy for on and off) and play around.

To handle the response, it gets a little bit more tricky, since a response block has to be detected, analyzed, and the application callback be called. In other words the application passed in callback has to be feed then in a promise (fullfilled) based on response block becoming available event. In addition to the 'callback hell' that can be managed with promises - nicely available in Espruino - you have also to deal with timeout, since a response block may not show (corrtectly / completely) within (variably) expected time... The timeout would then have to kill the promise(s) in work.

You may for sure take a look at the node.js implementation for guidance - or even more. Just be aware that you deal with less resources than you have in a regular node.js environment.

PS: since I do not have a device - and not time to write an emulator for it (I anyway ran out of time already) - this code is not run-tested... so please provide me with feedback (...tested code).

• Thanks! this is already a perfect start (considering I was running round the web and library codes/documentation and datasheets with close to nothing).

I'll start extending and run-testing ASAP.

About

Avatar for user81574 @user81574 started