• There's been some talk about it, but it's quite a lot of work. My reasoning for not attempting it is:

• It's Chrome only afaik, there's been very little uptake as far as I can see and very little work on it recently by the Chrome team, so Google may just kill it
    • It requires me to re-work Espruino's USB support, as far as I can tell this would stop all existing serial-port based methods of communicating with Espruino from working and make me totally reliant on WebUSB or native apps
    • In order to update firmware over WebUSB, the bootloader would need updating, which is non-trivial and definitely couldn't be done via WebUSB
    • In order to use WebUSB you'd need a computer and software that had access via serial to update the firmware - in which case why not use that?

So for me, it's not looking good. Urish has made a web bluetooth polyfill for Chrome on windows which uses a plugin API (https://github.com/urish/web-bluetooth-p­olyfill). IMO I'd be much better off making my own plugin for each major platform that handled serial, since the plugin API seems to work on a few different browsers. It'd stop me getting in this stupid situation where I'm dependent on one browser maker.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started