You are reading a single comment by @Adam79 and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • The MDBT42 module sounds great, what functionality might it have out of the box?

It's basically everything the Puck does (without the magnetometer, lights or light sensor)

it's possible to hook a wifi module into the puck, but it would have different power requirements

Yes, WiFi is pretty brutal compared to BLE. Around 200mA max for the ESP8266 vs 4mA for the whole Puck. The coin cell isn't going to cut it!

Having said that I haven't personally tested WiFi on the Puck yet - i'd need to do that.

IRC, the highest sensible voltage for the puck would 3.7v

Yes - which, annoyingly, is just less than the LiPo as it'd come fully charged. I'd suggest adding a regulator of some kind - you can get quite nice 3.3v switching regulator boards, some of which even handle charging as well.

However, 'LiFe' cells are about the perfect voltage, so you could use one of those directly.

Would the Puck still be able to sense its battery cap?

Not sure I understand? It could sense battery voltage, but getBatteryPercentage would be off - you'd have to make your own :)

@Adam79 interesting idea - maybe I could offer kits with a breakout and pre-programmed modules.

What did you program the RN4020 in?

• Out of the box they have a small scripting language, but limited as I said. I created a proximtiy/alert project and then gave up.

Having javascript and BLE in such a small module would be great, my temp sensor in every room project might finally get started.

About

Avatar for Adam79 @Adam79 started