You are reading a single comment by @JanDW and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks—Yeah, I think you're right it doesn't advertise itself. At first glance, it looks like on my mac I'm not seeing my iphone appear under "Open Bluetooth Preferences..." unless I open the bluetooth settings on my phone. So that supports your advertising theory...

I didn't have any luck with the puck with my bluetooth setting open—even when I set changed the scantime for NRF.findDevices() to 5000ms from 1000ms.

It's an annoying thing to google, because no matter how I phrased my query, I just kept getting results about bluetooth devices not connecting to an iPhone.

I didn't see the pucks show up as bluetooth devices on my iPhone either (or on my mac, though it did work through web bluetooth). I'm not sure what's going on there.

I bought the make:bluetooth book, which has a project for a BLE doorlock which unlocks with an iOS/Android phone, but it involves creating a phonegap app, etc. However, it uses the phone to require the user to enter a security code, while I just want to use proximity. I also don't want to have to take my phone out and start up an app: at that point I might as well open the Philips Hue app and turn on the lights that way :)

It'd be so much easier if I could just have the puck see the iPhone and contact the Tessel over bluetooth. Anyway, looks like I'll have to gain a better understanding of BLE. Seemed like this would be easy, but nothing... ever... is... sobs

About