JanDW

Member since Dec 2016 • Last active Feb 2017
  • 1 conversations
  • 7 comments

Most recent activity

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

@Spocki Thanks, that looks useful. I'll hopefully have time to experiment next week.

If you can use a Bluetooth device that supports the HID profile, you might have better luck...

On the puck.js kickstarter page it says HID is supported though... Oh well, I'll stop posting and see what I find...

Uncle Google finally had some words of wisdom to impart, I suppose this might be the reason?

It's fun when I get to repeat myself.

1. The iPhone doesnt stay in discoverable mode unless initiated by the settings screen.
    2. The iPhone doesn't support the serial profile, so your device won't automatically see your the >phone when it is in range.

If you can use a Bluetooth device that supports the HID profile, you might have better luck...

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?PHPSES­SID=ltukrr9ec6v8gi0l4na82jhsu3&topic=100­026.msg750645#msg750645

@MaBe Curious to know what the reason is the iPhone doesn't see them in the Settings?
    Is it because it's a device that the iphone doesn't support?

Thanks—Yeah, I think you're right it doesn't advertise itself. At first glance, it looks like on my mac I'm not seeing my iphone appear under "Open Bluetooth Preferences..." unless I open the bluetooth settings on my phone. So that supports your advertising theory...

I didn't have any luck with the puck with my bluetooth setting open—even when I set changed the scantime for NRF.findDevices() to 5000ms from 1000ms.

It's an annoying thing to google, because no matter how I phrased my query, I just kept getting results about bluetooth devices not connecting to an iPhone.

I didn't see the pucks show up as bluetooth devices on my iPhone either (or on my mac, though it did work through web bluetooth). I'm not sure what's going on there.

I bought the make:bluetooth book, which has a project for a BLE doorlock which unlocks with an iOS/Android phone, but it involves creating a phonegap app, etc. However, it uses the phone to require the user to enter a security code, while I just want to use proximity. I also don't want to have to take my phone out and start up an app: at that point I might as well open the Philips Hue app and turn on the lights that way :)

It'd be so much easier if I could just have the puck see the iPhone and contact the Tessel over bluetooth. Anyway, looks like I'll have to gain a better understanding of BLE. Seemed like this would be easy, but nothing... ever... is... sobs

Thanks to you both.

I had considered the wifi option, but the reason that I want to use bluetooth is so I can more or less scope it to a room (== a particular puck).

the rssi property on the objects returned byNRF.findDevices() seems useful, though I'm not seeing the Bluetooth MAC from my iPhone (Settings>General>About) in the list of devices returned. Is the iPhone hiding? Any way around it?

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to have the puck to act as a proximity sensor.

I have Philips Hue bulbs in my office (which can be controlled via a REST API) and a Tessel 2.
    I was wondering the puck could see my phone BLE (can it measure the strength of the BLE signal?) and send an event to the Tessel over Bluetooth. Could someone point me in the right direction?

The tessel could then control the bulbs over WiFi.

Thanks,

Jan

Actions