You are reading a single comment by @Ollie and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Not specifically Espruino but hoped to pick the forums brains.

I'm trying to use browser deviceorientation API to control an RC car running Espruino.

I was using the beta and gamma change events so the steering would work with tilting the phone left and right of the horizontal, which I thought was fine, but on handing my phone to my youngest - he rotated it and starting to use the phone like a steering wheel. He was disappointed.

A UI lesson learned I'm now trying to use the alpha change event, which is basically using the phones compass I think?

So my problem/question. My problem is that steering needs to be relative to the position the phone starts in say facing 180 degrees. I can detect decrements and increments relative to that, no problem, to provide left and right events, but what if the user changes their orientation - as they might if following an RC car? The steering will start to go off. Same result if the phone starts from a angled position, my first bearing will be off so the steering will not be natural

I hope that makes sense. Has anyone done this? Is there a better approach?

About