You are reading a single comment by @allObjects and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Turbo charged Espruino!

I like that just as I liked my 78 Saab 93, the first turbo charged 'regular' - off the shelf - sedan... at least what it looked from the outside! ...or my CDP 1802 MP/MC.

Espruino manifests itself as incredibly flexibility in clocking, almost like the RCA CDP 1802 from early 1976: ...The RCA 1802 has a static core CMOS design with no minimum clock frequency, so that it can be run at very low 'speeds' and extreme low power... Two chips - the CDP 1802 and a fused diode CMOS ROM - and a crystal and power from a lemon with a rusty nail and piece of copper wire got you going... tell the stories.

Even though conceived as a micro PROCESSOR, it had already incorporated (single chip) micro CONTROLLER capabilities:

• 1 GPO - general purpose output - pin and related instructions.
    • 4 GPI - general purpose input - pins and related test-and-branch-instructions.

...'perfect' for video games with 4 way (switching) joy-stick and (mono-chrome) video output. For simple control apps, a minimal system could work without (external) RAM - all living in the general purpose registers - and just an external fused (or hardwired DIODE) ROM to fetch the instructions / code from.

Because its static design, the clock was manually tick-able: educationally excellent to study the states of processor control lines, data lines and address bus lines throughout all cycles of op code / memory fetch, write to I/O and memory...

Guess the applications: space exploration... and it is still in use as a high-reliable MicroProcessor... I liked to play around with it a lot... there was even a Basic Interpreter available to help out with some dynamic language... with automatic garbage collection for string variables and easy programmable for other variables, just as Javascript has. - JavaScript was not there yet, but ancestors like Simula 67 from Oslo, Norway, had already matured and (first modern) Smalltalk 76 and Smalltalk 80 were about to be born at Xerox, Palo Alto, CA: all supporting objects, classes, and lambda calculus, and automatic garbage collection.

I like history repeating itself... but luckily in this domain in a very positive way... with no life loosing wars!

1 Attachment

• RCA_CDP1802_Overview.png
About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started