• I'm not sure about the purpose of ESP8266 standalone/combined with Espruino board to be fully fledged Web (app) servers...

Yes, it is nice to have the http(s) protocol and then routing available to support modular application builds. MCs are usually used to 'just' gather some sensor's values and then transmit them in a lean way to the requester through a mediator, which complements the raw data with the shoe shine that is needed for a neat presentation. The transmitted document can be a complete html document but the 'UI-meat' comes from a third party - a UI resource server that provides the 'tons' of html(5 - html, css, js, any UI and other library/framework standard/custom code) to create a nice UI (and single page app) in the client / browser.

I'd like to keep the distributed MCs that gather the sensor data as lean as possible with the least of dependencies and changes, and then 'fully load' a classical Web (app) server with all the resources - and with CORS - it is even possible to write the data on those readily equipped servers, or flip the roles completely: deliver everything but the IoT sensor data from a regular Web (app) server and make an CORS enabled ajax call to ESP8266/Espruino to get the data.

There was a while ago this conversation about Shiny Web UI which was covering such subjects. @Snerkle, I don't have an exact understanding of all the requirements and constraints you are pursuing to satisfy, but as an MC I would be pretty overwhelmed...

In the this post I show an approach to keep the html doc sent from the IoT device as slim as possible without sacrificing the consumer UI.

In order to have it a standalone example that everyone can run just off the forum, I emulate the (temperature) sensor reading with this anonymous function in the setInterval() from lines 16 thru 23, which - when implemented - will make a slim ajax call (back) to the ESP8266/Espruino to just get the raw sensor data.

The UI library/framework I'm using in the example is dojotoolkit.org pulled in from ajax.googleapis.com. Any other smart library or framework will do too. Nice about dojo is the AMD implementation: the code in line 4 pulls only a minimum: the loader / require.js which then allows to pull into (and cache in) the browser what else is needed, as beginning with line 7.

The example the html body includes all UI layout... what makes it still a fatter 'file' then needed: putting the body content into an AMD module and load it from a regular Web (app) server - he same as one would put on the library/framework - allows even more a slimming down of what 'has to live in Espruino... which could the make an SD card obsolete... and all your related problems goners...

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started