You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • It's been suggested a few times recently that I should have a way for people to give donations on espruino.com.

I used to have one when Espruino started, and I think it got used once in the whole year so I took it off. Recently things have changed quite a bit though. Currently around 1/3 of all users are not using the Espruino or Pico boards, and that number is growing all the time - especially with things like the ESP8266 port.

While I could sell programmed ESP8266's, at the moment I'd rather not have to support them (and realistically most people will just buy a NodeMCU clone off AliExpress which I could never compete with).

Folks like Marijn Haverbeke (of CodeMirror/Tern/etc fame) have a whole donations thing, and companies like Ubuntu have a click-through screen every time you download (which you're basically only going to be doing if you don't have an Espruino board).

Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

A PayPal button is probably easiest, but then there are things like Patreon as well... has anyone done this before? any advice?

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started