• For what it's worth, I failed to get esptool on OS X to connect via the Espruino proxy; OS X is my main programming platform so I do know it quite well. I ended up connecting the Espruino to a Raspberry Pi and did it from there: much easier.

Getting the shimmed ESP8266 from the Pico Kickstarter flashed was a bit of a chore, but after some tweaking, I managed it.

Getting three more ESPs I bought from Amazon was another matter: it turned out two of them had dud firmware anyway, so getting a version string was impossible; however, they did go into Flash mode automatically, so once I realised that, I managed to flash them. The third had 0.21.0.0 on it and required some baud rate tweaking before I could flash that.

I also had quite a bit of trouble with the reset line floating and so forth, so used a pull-up 10K, and ended up building a jig on veroboard. Finally, shortening the wires between Espruino and the ESP8266 helped, I think... by that time I was trying just about anything.

About

Avatar for tom.gidden @tom.gidden started