• Yes, soldering will be today's try to solve the issues. The fact that it sometimes worked and sometimes not at least points to doing so.

I have a 100uF capacitor somewhere in between which also should get a better position that way, as one of my ESP boards even managed to reset the Pico on Wifi connect. What is the typical capacity that should work with direct wiring? The shims are not yet available directly/from stock somewhere, are they?

For the console output, I have to connect/disconnect via the WebIDE's top left button (or re-connect screen) to get the output.

Also, I have the impression that the board does not continue to process if it can't get rid of it's output or has a "special mode" if powered by a computer with a potential serial connection in contrast to just being powered by a power source. It doesn't seem to do onInit or load() or might just be blocked by some filled buffer. This is of course just wild black box perspective. At least the buffers seem to get filled and dumped on connect/re-connect.

About