You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Yes, I'd considered using a thinner PCB and something to make it thicker (maybe adding a piece of thin plastic on the bottom) but it's a lot of extra manufacturing work (as it couldn't really be automated), and actually I'm not sure it'd help the break-out that much. One of the big issues is that the break out is so near the solder joint for that last 0.1" pin.

Personally I think it could be overcome in a number of ways:

• CNC mill the break-outs away
    • Use a laser cutter to cut break-outs (maybe not a normal one, but cutters do exist for just that)
    • Get a different break-out tool with a very thin edge (their current one has probably a 2mm thick edge, which is causing the issue)

But sadly Jaltek aren't really very interested in what I have to say and would much rather I change the design than they change what they're doing :)

after the Picos have been tested, the milling will happen to cut off the utility connections - is that correct?

Actually I think the connections will run across the rat bite on the USB end of the board. When the board is snapped out I think they'll just snap out with it - I'm not sure if it'll be cut.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started