You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Tada! Just done :)

For an oscilloscope, I bought an 'Owon pds6042s' for £199 a while back. It's just a very cheap Chinese make, but it's actually been pretty good (having said that the display on it is really bad - I notice it's not being sold any more so newer models might be better).

I wouldn't fall into the MHz trap - mine 'only' has 40Mhz bandwidth (not the same as samples per second, which is 250Mhz on mine) but I don't think I've ever needed to check anything anywhere near that quickly. Realistically the fastest output you'll ever really get from a microcontroller is 8Mhz, and for things like SPI you can usually slow that down if you want to debug it properly.

You might find that something hand-held like the DSO Quad is more than good enough - and it has the huge bonus of being small and battery powered. I found myself dragging mine outside to the car on more than one occasion!

I actually bought an HPS140 a while back (when it was on offer!) and while I think you'd want something with a better display and more channels, even that is surprisingly useful.

I wouldn't rule out oscilloscopes that you connect to the PC either. The Analog Discovery is pretty awesome (it has a logic analyser as well), and being connected to the PC means you can do things like save waveforms and even decode things like SPI.

With the bench power supply I can't really suggest anything - I just have a home-made one :) I wouldn't have thought you needed anything very expensive though, but I'd look at some reviews just to make sure the output is stable.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started