• Whenever I try to understand the code on github, I always find it to be a very frustrating experience. For example, I was looking at the pin mappings on the board files. So what's this pinutils thing doing? Who knows! Search the repo.... import pinutils, import pinutils, import pinutils. Where is pinutils defined?! I still haven't figured it out... I can build after just cloning the repo, so obviously pinutils is defined somewhere in there, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Another time I was looking into how Espruino picks which timer to use for analogWrite() to try to improve sanity of it's choices - and I had a similar experience. I couldn't track down where it was making the decisions, so that stymied my attempt at fixing it right at the gate.

This is the sort of experience I have every time I try to work with the Espruino firmware code - I've got no idea how the code is organized, and nothing is where I'd "expect" to find it, and github search always fails me when I try to go hunting for the definitions of things that files refer to.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started