• Just had a thought - I know there are a few things (like Ninja blocks) that will receive 433Mhz radio, but I think pretty much all of them so far use an Arduino or quite a bit of extra hardware...

As much as I'd like to say 'use Espruino', until I make some more optimisations it's going to struggle to decode several different radio protocols at once, and then once you've done that you'll probably still want to communicate with a PC/server at some point in order to stick everything online.

What if we just had a 433Mhz receiver and stuck it into a PC using the audio jack? Looks like someone has done this before

but using Python, and only for his own radio standard.

What if I just had a Git Repo which used the same kind of code I'd make for the Espruino+Audio comms? We could then make a whole selection of different radio decoders (remote control sockets, LighwaveRF, doorbells, weather stations, electricity meters, oil level monitors, Espruinos, etc) that worked together.

Maybe later we can run it all on Espruino, but for now I'd just love to be able to put a bunch of really cheap home-made sensors around the house. I already have a PC that runs all the time (as I'd imagine a few of you do), and sticking an RF receiver into the audio jack of it would cost about £5.

Is anyone interested in working on this? I could come up with a very basic framework that grabbed the audio, converted it to a stream of bit lengths, and then pushed it through some decoders - it'd just be up to you to write decoders for the devices that you have (or make!)...

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started