You are reading a single comment by @tom.gidden and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Different thing altogether... for the kind of thing I'd be using BLE on Espruino for, I wouldn't want "proper" Wifi anyway. The desire for BLE is about having a lightweight connection from a smartphone or tablet to control and query one or more Espruinos. Classic Bluetooth would do the trick, but would drink far too much. The ultra-low-power nature of BLE coupled with Espruino's economical usage through an event-driven model would be a perfect match.

It's a pity BLE included the word "Bluetooth", as it's just not the same thing at all. Rather than internet, serial and all the other things, BLE is mainly used (and apparently intended) for the typical sensor and accessory role, such as heart rate monitors and so forth. Trying to get it to establish a serial connection or any kind of constant stream (eg. audio) is just counter to the design. Additionally, controlling something like an HM-10 via serial and AT commands is a bit nutty, IMHO... it'd almost be more suitable to do it over I2C than serial.

Gordon's right that the app development side is required to use it properly, though: most projects seem to offer this with a fairly weak sample app for iOS and Android. It's a shame because BLE has all the elements to be really great, but the sample code and tools on both sides of the connection are just a bit lame. It'd be very interesting to see a Javascript remote procedure call mechanism from smartphone to Espruino across BLE like the NRF24 implementation.

About

Avatar for tom.gidden @tom.gidden started