user141569

Member since Mar 2022 • Last active Sep 2023
  • 5 conversations
  • 28 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Agreed. I personally far prefer using the touchscreen over buttons when I can, but having more buttons won't hurt anything when I can still use the touchscreen. It will only make the watch more usable with gloves. Having the watch be usable with gloves would be a major improvement and serious advantage over other smartwatches.

• in Bangle.js

You could definitely bypass that by taking apart the watch and reading the flash chip externally. You could possibly also bypass that by running something over the SWD pins that dumps the file contents. Also, I don't know whether Bluetooth passkey and whitelist are still active even after a reboot without loading code or in DFU mode.

• in Bangle.js

Reflective LCDs work by reflecting ambient light. They are readable without a backlight, but cannot be backlit well if at all. They work well if there's enough light, but not very well in the dark. At best, you might have a frontlight that lights the screen unevenly.

Transmissive LCDs instead pass light through. They have a backlight to cover dark environments, but they are only properly visible with the backlight. In brighter environments, you need to turn up the brightness to compete with the ambient light. In sunlight, you end up needing to use a lot of power, if your backlight can even get that bright at all.

Transflective LCDs are capable of doing both reasonably well. In a dark environment, they can be lit evenly with a backlight. In a bright environment, the ambient light helps rather than competes, so the backlight can be turned off and the display remains visible. This saves a lot of power. As halemmerich has pointed out, we already have one on the Bangle 2. This is a huge reason why we can have multi-week battery life with an always-on display.

• in Bangle.js

I do not know how to fix the error that the IDE is throwing. But once that's fixed, you can click the cylinder icon to view the list of files in the device storage, and then each file will have a couple buttons, including a trash can to delete it. Or, you can use the Storage module. Specifically, require("Storage").erase(".boot0") and require("Storage").erase(".bootcde").

• in Bangle.js

It sounds like you didn't actually break the firmware, just the JS code that gets run on boot. The files that get run are described here.

Follow the procedure to reset without loading any code. That should get you to a Banglejs logo screen. From there, use the IDE to delete any of the following that exist: .varimg, .boot0, .boot1, .boot2, .boot3, .bootrst, and .bootcde. (You probably only have .boot0 and .bootcde.) Then, go to the app loader and reinstall the Bootloader app. That should fix it.

• in Bangle.js

I personally like using the "event" option for one-time reminders, and I delete them after. I'm thinking that adding a delete after expiration option just like the timers have would be a good idea, and I'm willing to attempt to implement it. To avoid duplicating work, is anyone else already doing that?

• in Bangle.js

Got it. That makes perfect sense. I forgot about this post and submitted my PR anyways, but luckily I mostly complied with this. I have no changes to other apps to submit at this time, but I might in the future. I'll keep the one pull request per existing app change "rule" in mind.

The only thing is I think some of my changelogs are aweful or nonexistent, so I'll have to take a look at that. Depending on the quality of my commit messages, those might end up getting set back to version 0.01. (That should only affect me because I don't think anyone else uses my personal app loader so it will probably only affect me, and I'll know exactly what I'll have to reinstall.)

• in Bangle.js

I have developed a few apps, and I'd like to contribute them back to the official app loader. Should I submit one pull request for each app, or a single pull request with all of them?

Additionally, some of them are not on their first version in my own repo. Can I leave it like this, or should I reset them back to version 0.1 before sending them in?

Actions