rgomezwap

Member since Mar 2020 • Last active Apr 2024
  • 0 conversations
  • 18 comments

Most recent activity

• in ESP32

Yes, understood.

So what I'm going to do is clone the latest repository of Espruino 2v21. And upon this, I'll make the current changes with three conditional definitions, ESP32-IDF3, ESP32-IDF4, and ESP32-C3-IDF4

and I'll upload the changes to my branch... and this way it can be integrated into the original repository.

• in ESP32

Hello Mark, I don't mean being able to build both versions on the same computer.

What I mean is that version 3.3.6 is very stable, with all the hardware adaptation and testing completed. As for versions 4.x and 5.x, the functionality of the hardware SDK is different (SPI, LEDC, DMA, FreeRTOS, ADC...) and it will take us some time to get it ready.

If, while we prepare versions 4.x and 5.x, version 3.3.6 remains valid through conditional defines, we can generate binaries for all three versions at any time with the latest versions of the source files.

• in ESP32

The idea of transforming the current makefile system to the IDF system on the fly, is a good one.
    For me i find the current system confusing ,to carry out this task myself. Especially since it's shared across many different hardware configurations.

On the other hand, performing a full build with IDF is easy and fast. I don't see any drawbacks; you just need to have the entire SDK downloaded, but IDF takes care of everything.

The source files that need to be changed from the current Espruino, I've identified them very well, and there are very few things to modify. The main issue lies with the BUILD system; regarding the source files.

I also find it easy to maintain dual compatibility with 3.3.6 and 4.4.7 through defines in the source files. Although I've noticed a significant improvement in stability with the 4.x series compared to the 3.x series.

• in ESP32

Hello,

I'm the same person as the one from rgomezwap's GitHub. I signed up on the forum using my GitHub login, but it seems to have assigned me a random username.

I've updated the GitHub version to ESP-IDF 4.4.7, and everything is still working fine. Then, I installed the build system for ESP32-C3. When I tried to build, I encountered a bunch of errors which I've been fixing: either by commenting out the problematic parts to fix them later, or by making changes based on the suggestions provided by the compiler. As for the Espruino core source files, it compiles without any issues or fixes.

I've tagged these changes (all related to hardware) so that I can revisit them later and analyze each one to ensure ESP-C3 compatibility.

• in ESP32

Hello,

some time ago, I worked on bringing Espruino to ESP-IDF 4.x and 5.x.
    Adapting the hardware code is not very difficult for me. But integrating it into the current BUILD system became impossible due to my limited knowledge in this area.

Following this thread, and the interest in the C3, I wanted to give it a try. With ESP-IDF 4.4.7 and minimal Espruino (removing extra modules and disabling incompatible or pending hardware configuration), I successfully built it.

I don't have any ESP32-C3 board available, so I can't test it. I'm going to order one from China to see if it really boots.

We can work collectively to add those chips into the current Espruino. My current interest lies in ESP32-C5 and ESP32-P4, but to support these new chips, ESP-IDF 5.x is required, which is a bigger challenge that I haven't yet overcome.

• in ESP32

Hello, I've created a repository with the specific version of Espruino for ESP32-S3 and ESP-IDF 4.x.
    Let's see if from here we can work to integrate it into the official Espruino repository.

https://github.com/rgomezwap/EspruinoS3

• in ESP32

Hello, these days i'm setting up a Github repository with the complete ESP32-S3 system.

If you can wait a few days for me to have it ready. Hopefully, by this weekend I can have it ready and published.

The Make file and the sdkconfig are the first two significant changes compared to the current build system of Espruino.

Here are for you to see how different they are.

• in ESP32

Yes, sure.
    I hope this work is the beginning to add the new ESP32-S devices into Espruino.

Currently, I have focused on addressing all the initial issues. The main goal is to achieve a firmware that successfully boots. From here on, everyone will be able to contribute.

• in ESP32

Hello again. One more issue. The ESP32 S2 and S3 boards don't have a UART USB port. Instead, they use USB CDC, which means that the serial device is virtual. Therefore, the Espruino console doesn't work over the UART channel unless we connect cables and a USB-serial TTL converter.

I have seen that Espruino already includes USB in the console, so I need to investigate how to use it.

Let's continue...

• in ESP32

Hello, today I received the ESP32-S2. Let's see how it works with the port I made for ESP32-S3, or if there are many things that need to be changed.

I'll let you know once I get it.

Actions