• At first I mistalkenly thought it had just broken the solder joints, and tried to re-solder. This turned out to be a fatal mistake, as the solder is now inside the connector, so the USB cable won't fit. I should have known, I shouldn't have handled it so roughly - I was aware of the connector's weakness - but I was careless, i was just doing a quick test, I can make a million excuses, but the fact is, I fucked up.

Just venting. I can't even get my second espruino, because I'm on vacation. Brought a big suitcase of electronics parts, but never imagined I'd ruin the espruino!

• Argh :( But the connector is still actually on the board? If so you might just be able to buy and fit a new one, or have the tracks lifted?

If you want to get it going (and the tracks aren't shorted) you can actually solder a USB connector (or USB cable?) on to the board. There are two 22 Ohm resistors for USB data that aren't too hard to solder to, the diode has USB 5V, and ground is easy.

Either that or you can still use a USB-TTL converter on A9/A10...

• I guess I just can't go anywhere without multiples of EVERYTHING that I could conceivably break.

Fixed by directly soldering on USB cable, with great difficulty. I really hate screwing shit up like this, because it's totally my stupid fault, and one slip of the hand, and bam, there go your plans - it's not like I get the time I took off excited about getting time to work on my projects back just because I broke something halfway through my vacation. I've so far nearly destroyed my project three times - I've burned out an ATtiny, broken a pin off a component, and broken the USB connector off my Espruino - and I've onyl been here since sunday night.

• :( Glad you got it working again though.

Good luck with the rest of it! Where are you on vacation? Whenever I go anywhere with Marianne she insists that I don't bring a soldering iron. It's hard enough to sneak a laptop in :)

• One suggestion for constantly removing the Espruino micro cable ...
    Find a very short "micro" USB cable to always plug-in to the Espruino.
    Then get a USB "A to A" in-line female adapter and mate it with another longer USB cable.
    Just break the USB cable at the in-adapter and leave the short cable always connected to keep from wearing out the micro USB.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10­3&cp_id=10314&cs_id=1031401&p_id=362&seq­=1&format=2

• Glad you got it fixed.

Don't forget you can always program the Espruino using either a 5v USB serial cable connected to the pins (with power connected to VBAT) or even the serial GPIO on the RaspberryPi connected to the Espruino serial pins.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Damnit - it finally happened. Broke the MicroUSB connector.

Posted by Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy

Actions