You are reading a single comment by @stephenPspackman and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Oh, believe me, I understand completely about the difference between the issues that will realistically be addressed and … everything else :). I'll take a quick look at the setDST/isDST interaction and see if it feels like a hobbyable fix—though by design setDST is only a DST-aware version of manually setting the time, and may not even be part of a location-aware solution.

As to the idea of mapping from offset to name, from a technical perspective this can't work fully, because there are more timezones than there are offsets: timezones can (and do) differ in whether they observe DST and in what dates they make the change on, for example, not to mention that it might be a political hot potato to tell people in Western Australia that they are in China Standard Time or vice versa. (I had originally thought of making the watch able to display the correct time when completely disconnected, but the geospatial database would be megabyte-scale according to the back of my envelope, so not really feasible on Bangle).

For the sake of other readers I should make my own perspective clear here: I bought my Bangle because I have a long-time (if low-investment) hobby of sketching watch faces and watch features, and Bangle finally provides a low-overhead method to try out ideas. So “why don't you just use this-or-that” is not the answer for me. I'm actually trying to prototype a watch face that helps me deal with the disorientation I feel when the time changes under me, and that's what justifies my effort to myself. But of course I want to do it in a way that it might be useful to others, if there is a choice of methods, and I certainly don't want to break anything.

More generally, I think it might need saying that the experience of timezones in North America is very different from that in Europe. US states cooperate less than European nations(!) and timezone issues are a daily fact of life here; the Central/Eastern divide in the US in particular is highly populated. It's also true that while international travel has not been much of a thing for the last five years, previously (and now, again) waking up on a different continent was very much a normal experience for some of us.

Anyway, I'll try to avoid destabilising anything, and run anything with implications for others by you before trying to check them in.

Incidentally, do you have a clean way of debugging Gadgetbridge/Bangle interactions? Bluetooth seems to require running on real hardware, and there's only one Bluetooth….

About