You are reading a single comment by @stephenPspackman and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Looking into doing it ‘right’, I find that E.setDST allows us to set a (single) DST rule prospectively—clearly useful if we are not connected at the moment of transition. There are problems, though:

• Based on a quick experiment in the emulator, it apparently updates the time and the locale but is not fully integrated with Date (it seemingly does not set IsDST or update getTimezoneOffset, the latter of which is probably bad for existing code since it seemingly means that we are out of sync with UTC, the only indication being in the toString-style accessors).
    • It encodes the rules in a different way from Java's ZoneOffsetTransitionRule, and in particular doesn't seem to allow for transitions that aren't pinned to a particular day of the week (I don't know how common that is). (The documentation is also unclear on the distinction between transitions at 00:00 and at 24:00, but perhaps the behaviour is well defined and/or finessable.)
    • It doesn't provide a clear strategy for the case where a rule is changing.

Is the apparent lack of integration here a reportable bug, the result of a change in design direction, or just me misunderstanding how it fits together?

In light of this, and existing code, is it better to call setDST (massaging its input so that it is at least valid for the upcoming transition, if not subsequent ones) or—my original thought—to ignore it, relying entirely on connected updates (possibly scheduling the next transition for the current zone, so that having only sporadic connection would work nicely)?

About